This is to announce a new, paid summer research opportunity for undergraduate students, at the University of Cincinnati’s Department of Biological Sciences – the National Science Foundation-sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site in Sensory Ecology. Our program is focused on research at the intersection of neurobiology, behavior, ecology and evolution, and is directed at understanding how animals use their senses to respond to their environment at functional and evolutionary levels. Sophomore and junior Biology major students will be chosen to join active lab groups for the summer and conduct cutting edge research over a broad spectrum of topics in sensory ecology, including:
- Genomics and development of sensory systems
- Neural mechanisms of sensory system function
- Sensory perception and behavioral influences of the physical environment
- Animal communication
- Behavioral ecology of animal movement and dispersalAn educational program will develop student research and professional skills and prepare them for graduate school or careers, and for communicating science to the public.
- ~10 weeks in summer (May 31 – Aug 5, 2022)
- Students will receive a summer stipend plus dorm and meal expenses
- Students will work in labs, interact w/ faculty mentors, post-docs and grad students
- Weekly group seminars and meetings for students (e.g., career development, responsible research conduct, science communication training)
- Social events for students (e.g., trips to Cincinnati Zoo, Reds baseball)
- Concluding student research “mini-symposium” presentation sessionStudent applicants will be selected based on multiple criteria. Applications for the REU program will be screened by a committee to select individuals whose interests match with faculty in the program. Emphasis will be placed on faculty recommendations and student statements, along with academic performance and other indicators of future research success.
The application review will begin February 1, 2022 and will close February 18. Students can apply online at: https://www.uc-bio-reu.