Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Postdoctoral Scholar or Staff Scientist in Macroevolution and/or Paleontology
A postdoctoral scholar (PhD <5 years) or staff scientist position (PhD >5 years) is available in the Macroevolution Unit at OIST. We seek a highly motivated and creative researcher with a background in macroevolution (e.g. phylogenetics, evolutionary processes, organismal biology, and/or paleontology) and a deep interest in reconstructing the evolution of vertebrate life and biodiversity dynamics (extinction, diversification, innovation), and a desire to develop their own projects. The researcher will pursue novel work involving data and methods such as phylogenetic comparative methods, trait analysis, and/or fossil record occurrences.
This position is open to both paleontologists and researchers working on living groups, models, and molecular data, with a preference for those interested in fishes or other aquatic life. Exact projects will be developed through discussions with PI Sallan based on the skills, interests, and ideas of the selected researcher.
*The start date is negotiable. Promising senior graduate students and postdocs with time remaining in their current positions are encouraged to apply!
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Cover letter including statement of research interests
- CV including the publication list
- Contact information for 3 recommendation letters (will be contacted after first pass)
For more details and to apply, please visit: https://www.oist.jp/careers/postdoctoral-scholar-or-staff-scientist-macroevolution-unit