Dorothy Skinner, a long-time member of the Society for Integrative Biology and The Crustacean Society, died on February 12, 2005 from complications of Parkinson’s disease. We have not only lost a prominent member of our community, but also an influential mentor and advocate for women in science. As a memorial, a fund has been established for the “Dorothy M. Skinner Award.” The award recognizes women Ph.D. students and/or postdoctoral fellows who have demonstrated outstanding scholarship and show high potential for continued excellence in research. It provides travel support to awardees to present their research at annual meetings of the SICB. To make a donation, visit our donations page.
Past Dorothy M. Skinner Awardees
- 2020: Kate Feller, University of Minnesota
- 2018: Kirstin Brink
- 2017: Martina Muller
- 2016: Roslyn Dakin
- 2015: Devaleena Pradhan
- 2014: Connie O’Connor
- 2013: Brooke Flammang
- 2012: Molly Dickens
- 2011: Rebecca Calisi
- 2010: Maren Vitousek
- 2009: Jessica E. Garb, University of Arizona
- 2008: Deborah I. Lutterschmidt, Georgia State University
Dear Award Applicant:
Please read the following guidelines carefully before submitting your application for the Dorothy M. Skinner Award. In order to be eligible you must fulfill all of the following:
- Be a female member of SICB for 2021.
- Be the presenting author on a submitted abstract for the 2021 Annual Meeting.
- Complete the electronic application form in its entirety by October 20, 2021. Failure to do so will make you ineligible for this award. Only electronic applications are allowed.
- Completion of the electronic application form includes submission of a Curriculum Vitae and Research Interest Statement by October 20, 2021 (see instructions on electronic application form). The CV must include a list of publications and meeting presentations (both talks and posters). The research interest statement must be a maximum of one page in length and should include information about your past and current scholarship as well as your future plans. The combined CV / Research Interest Statement MUST be a single file in PDF format and less than 2 MB in size. Follow the instructions on the electronic application form to upload this single file.
- Have one letter of support submitted via our letter form (below). One letter is required and only one is allowed.
- Important: You must provide your recommender with the same email address used in this application, since we use an automated system to attach the letters to the appropriate application using the submitted email address information. If the email addresses do not match, the letter of support will not be attached to the application.
- When the letter of support has been submitted, a confirmation email will be sent to the applicant and the letter writer. It is the responsibility of the applicant to check that the confirmation email has been sent to the same address that the applicant used in the application.
- Both the completed application and the letter of support must be submitted by October 20, 2021. Only complete applications (which include letters of support) will be reviewed.
DOROTHY M. SKINNER AWARD – APPLICATION FORM
Please fill in this application form for the Dorothy M. Skinner Award, upload your CV / Research Interest Statement, and click on “Send application” at the bottom of the form to complete the application process!
You are required to be the presenting author to qualify and must be a member of SICB.
APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY: October 20, 2021.