Division of Invertebrate Zoology
Libbie H. Hyman Memorial Scholarship
For the 2017 Summer Field Station Season
Purpose: This scholarship, in memory of Libbie H. Hyman, one of America's foremost invertebrate zoologists, provides assistance to students to take courses OR to carry on research on INVERTEBRATES at a marine, freshwater, or terrestrial field station. In 2016, three students were supported with awards between $1000 and $1700 each.
Eligibility: The Hyman Scholarship is intended to help support a first meaningful field station experience for a first or second year graduate student, or an advanced undergraduate.
How to apply: Read the instructions carefully, fill in the online application form, and upload transcripts as directed.
For questions regarding the program, contact the chair of the Libbie H. Hyman Memorial Scholarship Committee:
Dr. Jennifer Burnaford
Department of Biological Science (MH-282)
California State University, Fullerton
800 North State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92831-3599
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
- Awards are limited to advanced undergraduates or first or second year graduate students currently enrolled in degree programs. Previous recipients of this scholarship are not eligible. Applicants need not be members of SICB to be considered.
- Applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted electronically following the instructions and using the forms provided at this website.
- Complete applications will consist of a proposal (see forms below), two letters of reference from faculty members, and copies of undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate transcripts. [Graduate student applicants must submit transcripts from graduate AND undergraduate programs]. All materials, including BOTH letters of reference, must be received by the deadline in order for the application to be considered.
- The student should write the proposal, preferably with the advice of their major professor. However, the major professor should not do the writing, since this will defeat an important part of the process.
- A form for the proposal is available on this page. You must use this form to submit your application. If you experience problems using the form, contact the webmaster by email.
- The form has fields for requested information. You must fill in all fields unless noted otherwise. The electronic submittal system will not accept any empty fields! Limits of field length apply. Actual character counts of an entry can be viewed by the applicant on the preview page.
- Please proofread your application before you submit it.
- Complete the online-form, proofread it again, and submit it via the web to SICB.
- Copies of official or unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts should be combined into a SINGLE PDF file no more than 2MB in size. The file must be uploaded as part of the application process.
- Letters of recommendation must be submitted via a separate online form at http://www.sicb.org/grants/hyman/hymanletterform.php3. It is critical that each recommender enters the exact email address that the applicant has used in the application. We use an automated system to attach the letters to the appropriate application using the submitted email address information. If the email addresses do not match, the letter of support will not be attached to the application. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that letters of recommendation are submitted to the website, with the correct student information, by the deadline. Applicants will receive an email notification when each letter of support has been submitted.
- The closing date for the receipt of applications (including transcripts) AND supporting letters will be February 6, 2017. Notification of Awards: March 14, 2017
You can fill in the form below without using your member ID number. If you know your member ID number you can save yourself some typing by having your data entered from the SICB database into the application form below automatically. If you don't have a membership number yet, or if you wish to use a different address, you can fill in the data manually or edit the data entered from the database.
If you find any of the data from the database incorrect or outdated, use the membership info page to submit an update.
Your member ID number is included with each email from SICB Headquarters. Use the contact link in the green field on the top of this page for questions regarding your member ID number.
DEADLINE: February 6, 2017